Sure You Have the Right Licenses
interested in construction work should be aware that several licenses,
registrations and tests are needed, including business licenses and contractor
licenses or registrations. In addition, certain requirements apply specifically
Business License Requirements:
- All businesses doing work within the City
need a current business license. This
includes businesses that are not physically located within the City, but which
perform work within the City.This
license must be renewed annually (Owner/builders are exempt from the requirement to obtain a business license)
Contractor License and Registration Requirements:
- The purpose of a contractor’s license is to provide an opportunity to contract for any type of construction and occupancy group as permitted by the International Building Code.
- A contractor’s license does not excuse you from also needing a business license.
- Homeowner/Builders are individuals personally engaged in the construction of a single-family residence or accessory building for his or her own use.
- Homeowner/Builders are exempt from the requirements to have a business license and a contractor license, but must comply with Requirements for Homeowner/Builders before applying for building permits.
Landscaping/Excavation Registration Requirements:
- Companies that only do landscaping and excavation are not required to be licensed.
- However, starting May 1, 2014, they will be required to register, at no cost, with the City.
- To register, please contact one of the Community Development Permit Coordinators:
Special Inspectors and Approved Fabricators:
- Beginning in 2014, special inspectors and fabricators will need to register with the Community Development department.
- Please contact the Permit Coordinator for more information