Applications for stand-alone plumbing, electrical, mechanical, and fire sprinkler and alarm permits can be submitted to the Permit Coordinators at the Building Department (517 E. Hopkins Ave). Applications for sign, fence, and tent permits can be submitted to the Front Desk at the Planning Department (3rd Floor, City Hall).
All stand-alone permit applications can be made without an appointment between the hours of 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., M-F
(excluding recognized holidays).
If you are submitting a Building Permit application, you will need to schedule an intake meeting
with the Permit Coordinator. During the application submittal meeting, intake staff will review your application to determine if all required materials appear to be included. This is a completeness check to verify that the application is ready for technical review, not a compliance check.
As part of checking your application for completeness, staff will ask questions such as these:
- Are the essential documents, such as recorded plats, resolutions, deed restrictions, etc., included in the application?
- Do the blueprints include FAR calculations, landscape or drainage plans?
If your Building Permit application appears to be complete
, intake staff will accept your submission, and will add your application to the work queue of the technical review staff of all relevant review agencies.
If your application is incomplete
, it will not be accepted. Instead, intake staff will:
- Provide you with a written list of the additional materials you need to provide
- Return any incomplete paper application materials to you.
- In the case of a Building Permit, you must reschedule a resubmittal appointment after your application has been made complete.
If you change your project substantially after your application is submitted, you may need to file a change order.
Beginning in 2015, you will be able to apply for select permits online.