Additional Things to Know:
Landscaping, Grading, and Excavation projects can occur unexpectedly, and are sometimes tied to a larger building project or are stand-alone projects. However, if you plan to do any of these, there are several things you should know.


You can find all of the applications, details of the process, and other additional information on our Grade, Excavate, Or Use Public Right of Way navigator page.


Landscaping, Grading and Excavation Projects:

The following pages and documents provide additional information about when a permit is needed, and what documents must be submitted with your permit application.


Apply for a Landscaping/Grading Permit:

Online: Beginning in 2015, you will be able to apply on-line for Permits
Apply for a Permit


Paper Application:

To view or download PDF copies of application forms, view our permit list


Working in the Right of Way:

In addition to the engineering department requirements for building permits, the Engineering Department issues permits that govern activities occurring within the public right-of-way (ROW).  Any work performed in the City of Aspen within the ROW requires a permit.  If you are unsure if you are going to be within the ROW, please contact the engineering department to verify.



Contact Us:

For additional guidance please feel free to contact the engineering department.


City of Aspen Engineering
City Hall Annex
517 E. Hopkins Ave.
Aspen, CO 81611
Phone: 970-920-5080

Office Hours: 8 - 4:30 (M-F)