exemptions exist for encroachments into City ROWs. A permit is always required for
- Excavation work in the ROW
- Temporary ROW Encroachments
- Permanent ROW Encroachments
Work in the ROW is only allowed between April 1 and November 1
. Within the City’s downtown core
, ROW work is only allowed between April 1 and May 31 (excluding Memorial Day Weekend), and between Labor Day and November 1. The same date restrictions apply to encroaching into the ROW.
Right of Way (ROW) Permits:
- ROW permits are required when a project involves excavating or performing other work in the public Right of Way.
- ROW permits cover items such as:
- Installation of utility lines
- Repairs or construction of sidewalks and driveways
- Landscaping in the right of way
- Earth retention systems that extend into the right of way
- Links to application forms can be found at the bottom of this page
Temporary ROW Encroachment Permits:
You must apply for a Temporary Encroachment Permit when you plan to occupy, place or maintain merchandise, equipment or materials within the public ROW.
Temporary Encroachment Permits usually involve the following activities being performed within the ROW:
- Temporary construction of guardrail, pedestrian walkways, scaffolds, protective canopies, etc.
- Temporary storage of materials (e.g. merchandise, commodities, construction materials, etc.)
- Park or stage and operate construction equipment (e.g. crane, bulldozer, skid steer, etc.)
- Temporary placement of a field office, dumpster, loose material container, or construction fencing
Permanent ROW Encroachment Permits:
You must apply for a Permanent Encroachment Permit when you plan to permanently occupy, construct, place or maintain within the City of Aspen ROW.
These permits usually include:
- placement of snowmelt in sidewalks
- placement of mailboxes
- any other type of permanent object within the ROW.
Apply for a ROW or Encroachment Permit:
Online: You can now apply on-line for ROW and Encroachment Permits
Apply for a Permit
To view or download PDF copies of application forms, click on the links in the table below:
|Encroachment - Permanent Encroachment Permit||Project
involves any work that permanently occupies, constructs, places items
within, or maintains items within the public right of way |
|Encroachment - Temporary Encroachment Permit||Project involves any work that temporarily occupies, constructs, places
items within, or maintains items within the public right of way|
|ROW - Earth Retention ROW Permit||Project involves an earth retention system that extends into the public right of way.|
|ROW - Emergency ROW Permit||Project is necessary because an event has threatened public health or
safety, or has resulted in the interruption of a utility service|
|ROW - Right of Way Permit||Project involves any work performed within the street right of way,
including but not limited to: installation, repair or replacement of a
utility line or service line; OR construction, repair or reconstruction
of a driveway or curb cut; OR installing or replacing curb/gutter,
sidewalk, or drainage facilities; OR landscaping in the ROW; OR general
disturbance of the ROW|
Additional information and documents can be found on our Resource Center Page.
You can contact us directly at the Engineering Department