Motor Vehicle: License Plates
License plate descriptions: To browse the plate categories and see the specific styles of plates go to the state web site.
In addition to the standard "passenger plate" (green/white), three other common plates we issue are:
- Personalized passenger plate (white/green) - $60 application fee and $25 additional each year thereafter.
- Designer plate(purple mountain majesty/colorful) A $50 one time fee with a $25 additional each year thereafter.
- Personalized designer plate (purple mountain majesty/colorful) - $85 application fee and $50 additional each year thereafter.
Note that "additional" means in addition to the regular fees and taxes.More about Personalized Plates:
The personalized application forms are available in our office or can be downloaded from the state web site. The applications are mailed directly to the state for approval; this process takes 10-12 weeks. DO NOT send money with the application. The state will send the applicant a letter of approval and request the fee at that time. The state will send the personalized plates to our office. We then contact the owner by mail to come in and register the plates.Other Frequently Asked Questions concerning license plates
- Do I need two plates on my car?
Yes, you could be ticketed and/or fined by Colorado law enforcement for this violation.
- Can I still get ZG plates?
ZG plates are no longer manufactured.
- What type of vehicle qualifies for truck plates?
Light pick-up trucks (16,000 or less) and cargo vans only.
- Can I use the plates that were left on the vehicle?
No, they belong to the previous owner.
- How old does a vehicle have to be to qualify for collector plates?
The car has to be a 1975 model year or older. The collector plates are valid for five years. The initial registration fee is also for five years.