Every contractor is required to maintain at all times worker's compensation Insurance, if required by law, and general liability insurance with minimum limits of not less than $500,000 for one person and $1,000,000 for any one accident, and property damage insurance with a minimum limit of not less than $300,000 for any one accident. The contractor license is null and void if the insurance expires.
Renewing Your Contractor License
Provide the same information required for application. If we already have your Insurance Affidavit and State Immigration Affidavit on file you are not required to supply them to us a second time.
The B.E.S.T. Card (or other proof of certification) must be current, and you must supply us with a copy of the front and back of the B.ES.T. Card or copy of other accepted certifications.
Payment of fees is also required (checks made payable to the City of Aspen)
Acceptable Forms of Identification
Any State issued driver’s license, driver’s permit, or photo identification card expired one (1) year or less.
U.S. Passport expired less than ten (10) years.
Valid foreign passport with I-94 or valid processed I551 Stamps.
Valid I551 Resident Alien/Permanent Resident Card. No. B1/B2 Visa/BCC Cards.
Valid I688 Temporary Resident, I688B, and I766 Employment Authorization Card with Intact photo.
Valid U.S. Military ID (active duty, dependent, retired, reserve, National Guard).
Tribal Identification Card with intact photo (U.S. or Canadian)
Certificate of Naturalization with intact photo.
Certificate of U.S. Citizenship with intact photo.
Reciprocating a License From Another Jurisdiction
Contractors MUST license with each individual jurisdiction in which they work. City of Aspen/Pitkin County honor B.E.S.T. Cards from other jurisdictions in the Valley but only if tested under the 2009 Codes or current edition.
City of Aspen/Pitkin County will accept International Code Council contractor certifications for comparable categories of licenses.
The holder of an ICC General Building Contractor (A) certification is eligible for any class Aspen/Pitkin County General Contractor License.
The holder of an ICC Building Contractor License (B) is eligible for an Aspen/Pitkin County General Contractor (Light Commercial) License.
The holder of an ICC Residential Building Contractor License (C) is eligible for an Aspen/Pitkin County General Contractor (Homebuilder) License.
Aspen/Pitkin County will also accept an ICC Roofing Contractor certification for a Roofing Contractor license, and an ICC Master Mechanical certification for a Mechanical Contractor License.
What is a B.E.S.T. Card?
- B.E.S.T. stands for Board of Examiners for Standardized Testing.
- B.E.S.T. is a program used by Aspen/Pitkin County and many other jurisdictions in the Roaring Fork Valley and along the I-70 corridor to verify the level of Code knowledge for contractors and job supervisors.
- A B.E.S.T. Card is not the same as a Contractor’s License.
Please contact the Pitkin County Community Development Department for questions regarding B.E.S.T. testing or to schedule a test at (970) 920-5526.
Visit the Pitkin County Community Development website for additional information.
- License expires every 3 years on the month and year of B.E.S.T. card expiration.
- A Contractor's license will also automatically expire if the required insurance expires.
- Plumbers and Electricians: License will expire every two years on the month and year the state certification expires.
- Fire Sprinkler Installers: License will expire each year on the month the State registration expires.
- Solar PV Installers: CoSEIA certificates for photovoltaic systems are valid for 3 years. Certificates for solar thermal systems are valid for 5 years. NABCEP certificates for both PV and thermal systems are valid for 3 years.
All other specialty trades
- All licenses expire on the month and year the B.E.S.T. card expires.