Long Range Planning focuses on "big picture" projects and policy level discussions. Often community engagement forms the basis for projects that have a broad community impact. Currently, implementation of the 2012 Aspen Area Community Plan
update is the main focus of Long Range Planning efforts in the City. Past Long Range Planning projects include amendments to the Land Use Code, the Economic Sustainability Committee work, and the Core Beliefs community feedback sessions. Current projects are listed below, followed by past reports and studies.
You can also visit our Recent Code Amendment Page
for code amendments related to downtown development, short term lodging, and the rezoning and code amendment process.
October-November 2014 Lodge OutreachAspen Lodging: Small Group Summary Results.
report analyzes the feedback received during the October 28-29 small group meetings.
Open City Hall. The Community is invited to participate in an online survey and online forum to provide feedback on lodging. Both are available on the City's Open City Hall site.
- Aspen Hotel Feasibility Study. This report analyzes the ability for a hotel to be developed under current zoning parameters and under the proposed Lodge Incentive Program.
- Aspen's Lodging Sector: Lodging Demand & Lodging Economics. This report analyzes trends related to Aspen's lodging demand and visitor profiles as well as the economics of lodging development.
- Lodging Charrette. On October 23, 2012, the City held a charrette to discuss the opportunities, challenges, and potential City role in the lodging sector. Two outside consultants attended and provided reports on their findings.
- Overcoming the Obstacles to Upgrading Condominium Lodging in Aspen. This report focuses on the regulatory and non-regulatory barriers to developing and upgrading condominiums.
- Phase 1 Lodging Study. One of City Council’s Top Ten Goals is to “examine the desirability and sustainability of preserving existing lodging and producing more lodging in Aspen.” This study represents the first phase of this effort. It is intended to provide a “big picture” overview of Aspen’s lodging sector.
- 2012 MTRiP Report. The Aspen Skiing Company contracted with MTRiP to complete a lodging inventory for the Aspen-Snowmass Area. The report outlines number and type of units in Aspen's bed base. City Summary of 2008-2012 MTRiP Reports.
Lodging Council Packets
SCI Zone District
The City of Aspen is exploring potential Code Amendments to the Service/Commercial/Industrial (SCI) Zone District.
Long Range Plans
Past Long Range Planning Reports & Studies